Wednesday, February 18, 2015

The Yellow Bowl

Looks like a simple yellow bowl of oranges, doesn't it?
It's not.


A few days ago I purchased some "Halo" oranges.
When I brought them home, I thought they would
look nicer in a bowl out on the countertop.
So I dug deep into my cabinet and I saw the yellow
Bauer bowl that I had taken from my Grandmother's 
kitchen after she passed away in 2002.
I thought why not use that?
It was a nice memory of her.
Except there were more memories hidden in this bowl
than I knew.
As it had been sitting in this cabinet drawer for some
time I wanted to wash it and clean it.
Before I did, I was struck numb for a moment.
A single black hair.
One.
I knew just where it had come from so long ago.
A single piece of fur that I picked up with my
fingertip and tears ran down my face like rain.
A memory.

Abby during the photos I shot of her that day in Feb of 2013.
Up on the counter (where the current oranges were shot) drinking out 
of my cup of water. She liked to do that.
I liked that she did it.


Sitting by the edge of the sink.


Do you see it?
The yellow bowl?
It underneath the stainless steel pot.
The pot I used all the time to make her
special slippery elm syrup.
Memories. 


Abby behind the cabinet.
How I remember that day.
Thinking back...
Wondering am I going to be able to get you out?
She loved getting into the kitchen cabinets.


Yes, that yellow bowl.


The one my Grandmother had for years.


It was your fur from this moment suspended in
time until I reawakened it two years later.
***
That piece of fur, that one strand fell off my
fingertip and onto the floor.
I couldn't find it again.
But for one moment I held her again if only 
one tiny speck.
It was her and she was here.
***
I miss her so.

33 comments:

  1. Purrs to you. My fur and Sparkle's are very similar, so she'll never know which one any fur belongs to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A happy and sad memory.
    You never know when they happen.
    Purrs Georgia and Julie,
    Treasure and JJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reminders like that can catch us unaware. Purrs and big hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing. Sad because she's gone but happy because of the memories. You have these wonderful pictures of these particular memories. I just think it's a gift to have these memories due to seeing her fur and then be able to connect them to these pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perhaps now you will always remember her when you use that pretty yellow bowl. And the oranges DO look good in it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful moment. Don't give up, you still may find that strand of fur again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I AM A FIRM BELIEVER IS LITTLE MESSAGES AND SPECIAL MOMENTS COMING AT JUST THE RIGHT TIME. ANGEL ABBY...
    LEFT THAT FOR YOU TO FIND....
    HUGS MADI AND MOM

    ReplyDelete
  8. All that cat hair is such a nuisance to me now, but when they are gone, I'll look for it everywhere and treat it as a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw wow, you just made tears roll down my face :(
    Your memories are so beautiful and the way you write about it gets me every time.
    ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hugs and purrs. Such a bittersweet moment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's sometimes the most unexpected things. Sending purrs, hugs & love....

    ReplyDelete
  12. How sweet she slipped by to check on you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Abby isn't ever going to leave you--

    ReplyDelete
  14. Abby is forever in your heart and in all the things she touched. What a beautiful story.

    Emma and Buster

    ReplyDelete
  15. Abby is still communicating her love with serendipity. Love that but it made me teary-eyed over Merlin who is one step closer to the other side today.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Abby is still communicating her love with serendipity. Love that but it made me teary-eyed over Merlin who is one step closer to the other side today.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Angel Abby must be sending you a reminder that she is always there with you. Hugs and purrs to you, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You were meant to find the hair. Abby is letting you know she is always with you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my I am crying, this touched me so. I can only imagine your shock and I CAN imagine the sadness...I soooo know! Abby IS there...she is letting you know that she is. She is communicating with you...she is always with you. I am sure she misses you in the physical sense as much as you miss her (((((hugs))) and much love.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful! Abby will always be with you xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. I agree with Flynn, Abby is with you always.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautifully said and a loving tribute to and tears are rolling down my cheeks...I miss my Minnie Girl too...sending you big hugs from HRCG:) Minnie's Mom...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautifully written,,,, so beautiful,,,, it was meant to be - for you to find that hair!
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  24. I understand fully. Made me start thinking of incidents of my baby, Admiral. Her fur under the bed by the bushel.

    ReplyDelete
  25. In these small ways, Abby is showing you that she is always with you. Purrs.....

    ReplyDelete
  26. Abby will always be in your heart. I'm glad you had that special moment of remembrance.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Miss Abby is always with you. Sending soft warm hug to you.
    ((( tuxedo cuddle )))

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love magical moments like that...

    ReplyDelete

We always love hearing from you please leave some pawprints!
Happy purrs
>^,,^<
♥AngelAbby♥Annabelle♥Boo♥Ping♥Jinx♥AngelGrace♥