Friday, September 15, 2017

Feline Fun


Happy Miss Boo

***
She's says she's home!
Safe and not sure if she's sound or not
after all the stuff she has been through
over the past few days.

***
Hurricane Irma came in like a
lion around 2:30am, Monday
September 11th. I know that time
because the power went out
and I got to watch Irma give us all
she had. It was scary.
I was with my Mom at her home
for several reasons, and she has a dog.
The dog isn't used to cats.
The cats were on the enclosed patio.
But when I checked on them
Irma had brought in ankle deep
water where they were, so I had
to bring them inside. They stayed with
me while Irma raged. Each one exploring
and then jumping up in the sofa with
me as we got pelted with strong
sustained winds and rain and the
bluest lightening I've ever seen
with no thunder.

***
It was a no fun to be without power,
but my Mom lives in an area that doesn't
generally suffer outages. Her power
came back on after 8 hours.

***
Mine was out for 3 days and that was
good, well not good, but they got it on
as quickly as they could. My home faired well.
Lots of downed limbs and debris, but
no trees leaning on the roof, or
worse intruding into the home.
My neighbors across the street had
water in their homes up to 5'.
If anyone heard about the historic flooding
in Northern Florida, I live across the
street from the north prong of the
Black Creek. Black Creek was at it's
highest level in 150 years. Back then
I'm sure there weren't homes where they
are now. I live higher than a lot of
people in my neighborhood, so I had no
water. I have flood insurance though.
Basically being overly cautious because
I know all about Black Creek.

***
This was one of the worst storm
experiences I've ever had.
The older I get the worse I do with them.
But Northern Florida had not recovered from
Hurricane Matthew (CAT 4) last
October and now we have been hit with
Irma. Houses that were sitting teetering
on the edge in Vilano Beach (which
is near St Augustine) from Matthew,
went into the water. I know you are tempting
fate to live on the water, and I would never do so
but it's heartbreaking for those who
have to come home to that.

***
So glad it's over.
So glad.

19 comments:

  1. I'm glad it's over too - and that your home came through with only minor things outside. How scary, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are glad you fared well and that it is over.
    Mum remembers Juan in 2003. She was without power for a week. Her sister(TEam Tabby) was without power for 2 weeks. Luckily, water was not a big issue for us.
    We can see that pretty Miss Boo is happy that Irma is gone :)
    Purrs Georgia,Julie and JJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're glad you're safe and that your home didn't get damaged by wind or water. Purrs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debra,

    I was hoping for an update soon, but not expecting one, so I'm glad to see this post. And I'm so glad you'll all home again now, safe, and that your house was spared. I hope the only water your mom had was in her enclosed patio.

    My best to you all, with purrs from N & D!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are glad you are safe. Mama has seen some of the photos you have posted and wondered where you were in relationship to those. We are glad you are dry. One of our friends lost a tree and had it break through the roof so she had water intrusion down in Orlando. She's handled things well but with the heat and no power, she is kind of at the end of her rope. We're glad that power is back for you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad all is well and everyone is safe!
    Love from Lynne and Scout

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my word...what a horrible experience we too are very very glad it is over. Irma was a huge beast.
    Sending hugs madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are so glad you all are okay. We just had the tropical storm stuff and it was scary.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you are home and had no flooding. XO

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am glad you got through Irma with no serious damage, and glad you are all safely back home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So scary for you and the cats. We just had heavy rains and strong winds as an after effect. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a horrifying experience. I can't imagine living where hurricanes are the norm. Right now we're watching Jose in the northeast and the cone is getting a little too close for comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We are so happy you all are okay and safe after Irma!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm very happy to hear you and the kitties are all okay and safe and that your home fared so well!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We're so glad that Irma is gone now...and that you all are safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That was a harrowing experience for sure, and I am happy for you that you are all safe and sound. Miss Boo, I imagine you, too, are evfur so happy, along with your furblings!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, I'll bet you're glad it's over. It sounds like an ordeal. You were smart to get a house on higher ground - no matter where you are that's good advice. I am happy to read that everyone is safe. Better days ahead, please.

    ReplyDelete

We always love hearing from you please leave some pawprints!
Happy purrs
>^,,^<
♥AngelAbby♥Annabelle♥Boo♥Ping♥Jinx♥AngelGrace♥