Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Remembering BUTTON

I don't recall where I got this photo, but this kitty looks just like BUTTON. I never got a chance to get a picture of her, which I can't tell you how much I regret.
One night last december I thought Boo had gotten outside. I was beside myself in a terrible panic searching for her. There is a wooded area next to our property and on the other side of that is a small business complex. I was out with a small flashlight in my PJ's calling and calling for Boo. All of a sudden my light caught the eyes of a cat. I could tell it was a small cat. She didn't run as I approached her so I patted her on the head, but I knew it wasn't my Boo. I had come to the end of the area I could search, so I headed back home. This little cat followed me step for step back to the house. As it turns out, Boo was in the house, she had gotten into a closet. *WHEW was I ever relieved. We then turned our attention to this new addition. She was disheveled and hungry and full of ticks. She looked like she was on her last legs. It was obvious she had been someone's pet. We fed her, took care of the parasites, got her to the vet and she began to bloom. Poor Button, had some terrible baggage though. She had a very strange gait and had a sensitivity to touch around her back legs. When the vet checked her over, she said that Button had either been hit by a car, or had been thrown from one. Button's bones had healed well she told us. But, they did bother her from time to time. She was a biter. You had to be very careful with her, because she would quickly snap at you. She had such a sad sorrowful meow. We tried to ease her into the house, but she refused to even come close to the garage. She did not like other cats. She would fight with our cats through the windows of the house, especially with Boo. So she settled nicely into my husband's workshop, where she seemed to be happy. My husband was home nearly everyday so he spent lots of time with Button and they developed quite a bond. When he began a part time job, he could not spend the time with her he once did. We knew she was really lonely. On July 16th we both headed off and we saw Button walking across the front lawn, it was our last time to see her. When we got home, she wasn't in the workshop. I searched and searched and called and called for her. I knew something was wrong. She always came home in the afternoon. She never stayed out at night. Of course we told ourselves she would back the next morning, and of course she wasn't. We searched the neighborhood. We told ourselves she would show up. We checked with animal care and control and she wasn't there. She never came home. We don't know what happened, other than she simply never came back. I would like to think, that in the six months she was with us that she was happy. We loved her and tried to care for her as much as she would let us. She was a very sad girl. But she loved being around us when we were on her turf. I miss her and I still say kitty prayers for her. The only good thing that came of this was that Gracie found her way into our hearts and we saved her from being put in animal care and control. But, I still miss Button. Wait for me girlie at the Rainbow Bridge and I will find you. Love you Button.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We always love hearing from you please leave some pawprints!
Happy purrs
>^,,^<
♥AngelAbby♥Annabelle♥Boo♥Ping♥Jinx♥AngelGrace♥