Sunday, July 19, 2020

Gracie's Gotcha 15th anniversary



Today, 15 years ago
I found Gracie at the ACC.


I live in a rural county,
and it's a rural ACC.


It's not a place you want to be if you're 
a stray animal.


I've shared this before but I like to tell her story again.


There had been a stray tortie on our property
named Button who went missing.
Our last hope was finding her at the ACC.


That was the MOST depressing place.


Button wasn't there.
But, there was this young kitten 4-6 months old
at the front door begging each person as they walked in
for attention. As we waited to look through the cages
I commented to the shelter worker about that kitten.
She jokingly asked if we wanted to take her for free?
I had just adopted Abby, literally a month before
and I was trying to get her adjusted, so I sad no I was 
there to see if my tortie was here.
Then I asked why they didn't take her in?
And she said, because they knew it would be the end 
for her. I was already upset about Button and this
just did me in.


So no Button at the shelter.
As we were leaving I looked at this gray tabby kitten
and I said we'll take her.
They happily gave us a carrier and off we went.
I sat in the car on the way home and thought
what have I done?


This was what Grace would do when you called her name.


So now I had Gracie and Abby.
Well Abby took 6 months to acclimate to 
Boo, Ping & Jinx. But after checking out at the
Vet, Gracie just moved in like she was a part of 
the group from the beginning.
No fuss no muss.
She just fit in.


Gracie LOVED Ping.


She was such a good girl.
My sweet Gracie Grace.
I always would call her that in a sing song
voice and she would always come to me
running and meowing.


Our last afternoon together.
It was February 11 2014.
Gracie had lymphoma (suspected never confirmed)
Her lungs kept filling up with fluid and she 
couldn't breath. Just a few days before, I had
let them drain her lungs and it only took 48 hours for them
to fill up again. I couldn't keep putting her through that.


So to end your suffering, I accepted my own.
She was far too young, only 9.
She was such a good girl.
Miss you my darling Gracie Grace.

17 comments:

  1. Grace may have had too short of a life, but she was very lucky to find a home with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad Grace had a happy life with you. Purrs and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She was the right kitty for you at the right time, and you helped her find LOVE!
    Love: that just goes so well with (the) Grace that she was:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. She was so very lucky to have found her forever home with you and her fur "siblings." ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gracie Grace was such an amazing kitty, and she found an amazing forever home there with you. Love and purrs to you, especially tpoday as you remember your beautiful Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gracie was forever thankful that you listened to her wish to live with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gracie new she had found the perfect home with you, and that is why she settled in so quickly. I know she is watching over you from the Bridge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is always good to remember our Angels...they watch over us always.Happy 15th Gotcha Gracie...your furever home was the best
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful tribute. And Gracie and Abby are together again - with Mina - and waiting...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gracie was a beautiful girl. I am sorry you didn't have longer with her. XO

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember Grace's story and I remember her so well. What a precious little girl. And who wouldn't love Ping :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't realize she was so young when you lost her. Thank you for saving her precious little life!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a beautiful girl that left this world too soon. Purrs....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Grace was destined to be with you. Thanks for sharing her story. Her memory lives on in your heart, and in the hearts of those who remember her.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We put so much into our affection for these little creatures, and we always outlive them. I suppose that is how it should be, so that we will always be there to care for them. But it’s very hard on us, very hard indeed. You gave Gracie nine years that she would not have otherwise had. Too short a while, but, literally, a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a lovely tribute to your sweet girl.

    Sending love, light and hugs xx

    Athena and Marie

    ReplyDelete
  17. we always enjoy your story Gracie; and we are BUZZED happy you found....home :) ♥♥♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete

We always love hearing from you please leave some pawprints!
Happy purrs
>^,,^<
♥AngelAbby♥Annabelle♥Boo♥Ping♥Jinx♥AngelGrace♥