Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Absence


Grief often finds the sentiment that GRIEF is LOVE,
but that isn't a one way exchange. It's not the exact love we had
for someone when they were alive, but it transforms
into the grief we hold once they are gone.
There was a space they held in our lives
which left a gaping hole, but grief fills that chasm.


Absence allows us to tap into a new depth of love,
one which was unknown. It's not something anyone can
fathom until you experience it. But it's still a type of love
that is tapped into to fill the void. It's a yearning.
Yearning for something that's gone. When you look up the 
definition of yearning it says:
"have an intense feeling of longing for something,
typically something that one has lost
or been separated from".


But the missing piece with grief is a yearning to get back
something you can't. When someone dies, the absence is
and of itself it's own unique presence. We hate that void 
 because it represents a reality that we also hate.
All that we loved is now gone.
But we also hold onto a love for that someone
even though they are physically gone from our
day to day living. So we are entangled in that loss of
presence and cling to it with all of our might.
We all continue to visit and revisit old memories,
knowing they hold a powerful emotion of
deep joy, but also deep pain. In the midst of all of this
we stand in awe at the depth of our love,
our loss, and our grief. We want the grief to end
and we never want it to end, at the same time
because we fear the painful idea of our loved one 
being forgotten.


But, with their absence we learn something maybe
we were incapable of knowing while they were alive.
We discover just how much we miss them. It seems 
obvious that you'd know this but, incredibly you don't
and can't, until their presence is gone. We learn
how much pain their absence brings to our own lives.
We also learn how we willingly lean into that pain
to keep them close.


I think back to learning how to deal with that pain.
In my own mind I make it worse. I think I can't stand
something, and I go one step further, and
then I know I can withstand anything.


So even though we think we can 'know' what it 
would be like to lose someone we love, when that 
moment happens, what you feel is not what you thought.



You are transported into the unimaginable.
That gap between what we imagined and what we 
never have imagined
 lies the love we meet
for the first time.


There are emotions that only emerge in that 
vast universe of GRIEF and LOSS.
Grief is a journey.
A life long journey.
You pack it up and take it with you
each step along the way.
You learn more about the depths of love
within that journey,
and I'm only beginning to realize
how layered each moment of it is.



The absence.
The yearning.
The loss...
and the love we only
find in
Grief.

*
*
*
I cross a new threshold today.
Because today marks the beginning
 of a new period.
It is the first day of many
where you will be gone
longer than you lived
with me.
It is hard to fathom that reality.
That so much time has
passed since you left,
and will only continue to increase.
It is just 
another step in my journey
of discovery
about loss and love and grief.
And how inexplicably all
of these powerful
emotions are intertwined together.

*
#missingyoualways











 

13 comments:

  1. When it comes to those we love, we will always remember them.
    The remembrance often goes through many changes. Hugs <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well written, and clearly heartfelt. But I’d still rather live in ignorance of how much I really love someone, if it means they are still with me to love. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I wish I didn't know what this feeling is like, and what I'd give to have Abby still with me. But, my search for understanding has finally gotten me to a point where an 'ah ha' moment. The new phase I entered which was so filled with deep emotions of sadness is only the reflection of that loss and how it mirrors itself back into the deeper love. The longing to be with the one you miss never goes away, but the love only grows.

      Delete

  3. Abby was such a dainty, beautiful friend
    Hugs cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  4. abby; de last foto oh ewe iz like de most bee ewe tee full..... trooth ~~~~~ ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all these photos of beautiful Abby. XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's always tough to cope with loss of love, but try we must.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's always hard, and in spite of what others say, it doesn't really get easier.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It never really does get easier. It just evolves, I think. Abby was so beautiful, and so special.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did read this yesterday but felt so choked up that I didn't know what to write. I still don't, your words are so powerful. All I can do is offer my love and virtual hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I write to release what is within my heart, it helps putting it down and expressing it, even if it only for myself. But, my hope is that someone else who is going through this might see a bit of themselves and maybe just maybe there may lie an answer for them as well. I know I've been searching for so long now to understand and when I discovered that you can't know something until you get there, and what you find on the other side is something all together different. Grief is love.

      Delete

We always love hearing from you please leave some pawprints!
Happy purrs
>^,,^<
♥AngelAbby♥Annabelle♥Boo♥Ping♥Jinx♥AngelGrace♥