Friday, December 29, 2017

Heavenly Birthday



88 years, 6 months, 11 days.
By all measures, this would be considered a long life.
Not ever long enough, for the loved ones left behind.
Death is hardest on the living.

***

It has only been a little over 5 months since that dark day
in July.
This world doesn't stop turning.
It never missed a beat.
It barely took notice that
the best man, the finest man,
 I have ever known
left this earth peacefully at home,
on his own terms,
just as he would have wished.

***

He was larger than life to me.
Especially as a child.
He stood 6'4" and had the
largest hands I'd seen.
I am reminded of a story of him
from his teenage years.
He worked on a farm in rural Texas,
and there was this wayward cow.
That cow wouldn't move.
So he tired of trying to move it
and took all of his frustrations out on
it by hitting it with his fist on the head.
Knocked the cow out.
He was petrified that he had killed it.
Because well when you're poor
a cow is a very expensive commodity.
But, the cow got up and apparently
moved along.

***

He truly was a kind, generous man.
He never met a stranger.
He just had a big personality,
and most everyone truly liked him.
He loved his wife and his kids.
Completely.
He was devoted to us.
He protected us well.
In later years,
when nearly all was taken from him,
he was the most compassionate
of people.
I miss him.
Just miss him.

***
I keep waiting for you to come back.
It's something many grieving say.
It's like your on an extended trip and any moment now
you'll come barreling through the door.
But, of course you won't.

***
You're gone.
Gone.
Just gone.
There is no trace of you left here 
on this earth.
There is only memories in my mind.
Pictures,
Old 60's videos.
Phone messages.
Your carrier hat,
a rattler from your babyhood,
your pocket knife, glasses,
some other odds and ends.
Memories.
You're gone.
Gone.
Just gone.


***
In my lifetime I'll never be able to talk to you again.
I want to pick up the phone and call you.
I want to hear your voice call me babe again.
I want to know about all the things
you never discussed like growing up without your Dad.
Because now, I know exactly how that feels.

***
I still "talk" to you everyday.
I know you listen,
if you can.
I believe you can.
So that can give me some comfort.
Sometimes.



***
I've learned many things since you've been 
gone, and even though
our conversations have only been
one sided I think you understand.

***
I was acutely aware that time was running out.
But, like everyone else, until it happens
you always believe you have more.
Time.

***

We didn't.

***
We had a conversation this past
May or June, where you
told me how tired you were
and how ready you were to meet your
Heavenly Father.
I started crying.
I told you I just couldn't bear to
hear it. The sudden kindness and
empathy you gave to me,
and the promise to never bring it up again.
You didn't have to tell me,
although in hindsight I am glad you
did.
I knew already Daddy.
I did know.
I did understand.
But, I know you understood too
that the little girl inside of me
didn't want to turn loose of
the big hand of the man
she dearly loved the most.


I didn't want to ever lose you.
Even though I knew I would.
I couldn't believe it when it happened.
It's still hard to believe it now.
I don't know how to accept it,
and I suppose I never will,
I will just have to learn how
to live along side it.
You've always been there 
in my life everyday since I was born,
and now you're not.
How can that be?

***
So, I had to "celebrate" my first birthday
without you.
Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.
Soon it'll be a "new" year and the one you died in
will be further in the past.
Of all the other anniversaries to follow, the one I am 
dreading the most:my first Father's Day.

***
Even now I find my own sorrow at seeing other 
people have their Daddys.
It's my own sorrow, not theirs.
I don't begrudge anyone having their Father.
I just miss having my Daddy.
You.


***
I cherish one thing which I know
by far is the most important
legacy you left me.
I know you love me.
Love me now.
Present tense.
I know to my core.
And you know,
that I love you.
That will never be broken.
And I will try very hard not to live in the sadness
of your loss because I know how you feel about that too,
because it is something we discussed.
But, right now I'm still missing you
and trying to find a way to accept it,
to live with it comfortably.

***
I'm not sure there is a way right now,
because with great love
comes great grief.
Unless you've felt it then it's hard to understand.
So today on your 89th birthday I will
miss you,
 and it's not selfish,
 to still want you here.
I know you were suffering,
and that I'm glad that is over,
but I can't help missing your absence.
Everyday, but especially today.


***
Happy birthday in Heaven Daddy.
love,
your devoted Daughter

18 comments:

  1. Your dad's larger-than-life spirit really shines through in his photos. Many purrs to you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing and lovely tribute to your Dad.
    HUgs and purrs to you.
    Purrs Georgia,Julie and JJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful post. You had an amazing relationship with your dad, such a gift.

    Sending hugs and Light to you.

    P.S. The cow story...oh, the poor cow! That made me smile. Glad all was well for both the cow and your dad in the end.

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful tribute to your beloved and amazing dad ! Purrs and hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have so many wonderful memories of your dad. His personality really shines in his photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debra this is absolutely beautiful...oh my goodness. I love the first photo of holding the heart full of your Dad's ashes...you now hold his big heart in your hand.
    Loved the photos of him too.
    Hugs Cecilia and Madi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a wonderful guy. Hugs from all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful post. I have to admit I cried for the loss of you beloved father, and because my father never really loved me. I'm glad you were loved, are loved. I'm so sorry for your loss.
    Milo and Alfie's mom, Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an amazing relationship you had. This is an incredibly beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sending you love and (((hugs)))))) I know first hand (sadly) just how hard it is

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful post for your father. XO

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a loving tribute to your amazing father. Sending you love, hugs and prayers as you miss him.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This has to be the most beautiful tribute I have ever read. It is so obviously straight from the heart. Your Daddy was a very handsome and caring man. Hugs and love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. With tears in my eyes, I send you my hugs and Pipo adds some big purrs. He is right behind me on my chair...

    ReplyDelete

We always love hearing from you please leave some pawprints!
Happy purrs
>^,,^<
♥AngelAbby♥Annabelle♥Boo♥Ping♥Jinx♥AngelGrace♥