Monday, August 12, 2019

Abby


Six years ago...


I held you for one last time.

***

I understand that sometimes,
maybe too often, for some
 I touch on the subject of
grief.
I understand if you don't wish to read this.
I get it.
I was once there too.
It's not light reading.
It's not easy reading.
But, this is how I feel.
I'm done apologizing for feeling this way.
It is as they say how it is.
Because I do to understand myself,
and ultimately to process
all of these feelings. 
I write about it here to
release my very tender thoughts
and deepest emotions and fears.
I thank you if you read this far.
I also appreciate any comment or thought you might have.
How do you deal with it,
if you're going through it?


I cling to my memories
 which is all I have left now.
I can't get any "new" memories.
I can't take any more photos.
I can't hold her again.
All I have is what once was.
Sometimes I talk out of fear of her being forgotten.
Other times I'm simply trying to make myself
understand the nightmare and only those
who have walked the same nightmarish path can.
I cling to my memories
even as they fade.


I miss you.


The only thing I could
not protect you from was
...time.

***

And I will always remember
and I'll always
ALWAYS
love you.

***

I do understand that there are some who think:
HOW LONG HAS THIS BEEN, and when is she
going to 'get over this'.

I get it.
Truly I do.
I used to think that way too about someone
grieving.

I thought those thoughts and did so until I grieved.
Then I became a member of the 'club' and boy
what a club, and wow what an education I got.

I don't think those things anymore.

Since that day I've come to realize that Grief doesn't
visit you for a temporary stay, oh no. Grief sets up shop --
permanently.

Yes time passes and the intensity of it mutes,
but there are days, oh yes there are days when
it rears up and slaps you down -- hard, and then
goes away to hibernate again.

It forces you to face the inability to do anything
but feel it all and fall apart again. It's hard in those moments
to realize that you're not the same person you once were.
It's strange too because you didn't realize until
you went through it how much change it brought inside of yourself.

You keep wanting to get your old self back, not truly
understanding that it's NOT coming back.

But that odd feeling of healing and that permanent scar of
sadness is the thing that is carried in your soul.
It is the way your love outlives your loved one.
But it's a constant chafing of the soul.

I've now walked down a bit of the Journey and I've come
to realize that this is the road I'm on now. It's NOT
a detour. I will have good days, and happy days, but I will
never ever get over this loss.

That is the price for sharing your life with someone worth missing.
And miss her I do.

Six years in and it's a lifetime sentence that I've finally accepted.
So at the end of MY journey I will be either be
beautifully reunited with her, or I will stop breathing.
Either way I will finally at that point
stop grieving.

So when you experience this and someone asks you
when you're going to get over it, tell them that.

13 comments:

  1. I appreciate the way you deal with your grief. Grieving has no time frame; we do it on our own time in our own way. I admire the way you are able to vocalize or write about your feelings. You write in a way that the reader gets to heart of your emotion. I just want to say, I love reading your posts about Abby. Hugs.

    Emma and Buster

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with everything you have said. When you have loved so deeply you never get over it but learn to try and live with the loss.
    The pain never goes, but as you say, it hibernates then reappears with a vengeance.
    Love and hugs to you on this sad anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hugs, purrs and Light from us; it's a very sad anniversary indeed. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should NEVER have to apologize for your feelings, especially those of grief and sadness. Lots of purrs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We don’t think that, we totally understand and it’s tough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. a piece of one's heart is removed with each loss, be it person or pet; this piece is never replaced ON the heart, but moves on to the memories; these memories are what we hold on to. when these memories are gone, that is the time when we come face to face again with each being we have loved...around here... we call that time and place...heaven ♥♥♥♥♥

    ♥♥♥♥♥♥ from all oh us here in TT

    ReplyDelete
  7. (((hugs))) and I think everyone has a right to grieve in their own way. My Angel Bobo is gone 12 years.....I am embarrassed to say I no longer mention him every single day but I DO mention him A LOT. I can still hurt as deeply as I did the day he left, if I allow myself to. Grief is deeply personal. No one has the right to tell anyone what is too short or too long to grieve. We all deal with grief in our own individual ways. What you shared is beautiful and the most important thing is, if it brings YOU comfort......that's ALL that matters (((hugs))) and love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how you write what you're feeling. There is no getting over someone special you've lost, whether they had 2 legs or 4. All you can do is take it day to day and feel what you feel on that particular day. If something triggers and memory and you have to cry, you cry. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. You have to let it out in whatever way it works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Believing we will be reunited is what keeps me going. XO

    ReplyDelete
  10. It’s hard to believe it’s been 6 years. Sending you many purrs this day...

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is no getting over such a loss. There is living with it, and coping with it, handling it and working it out - but there is no getting over it. Those who think otherwise have never experienced it, or have not loved enough. Write what you want; that is your right.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 6 years can pass so quickly. We still miss dear Abby and know from our own loss that it can wax and wane but on days it can be very difficult. Purrs and support from all of us

    ReplyDelete

We always love hearing from you please leave some pawprints!
Happy purrs
>^,,^<
♥AngelAbby♥Annabelle♥Boo♥Ping♥Jinx♥AngelGrace♥